*Disclosure: some links may contain affiliate links. For more information on what this means, visit my disclosure page.
Indulge in the deliciousness of this Vegan Apple Pie Bar recipe – a simple yet heavenly dessert that captures the essence of traditional apple pie. With a buttery crust, spiced apple filling, and crumbly topping, these bars are a delightful treat for any occasion, especially in the Fall.
These Vegan Apple Pie Bars are a delightful fusion of sweet, spiced apples and a buttery crust, all in a convenient bar form, making them easier to serve, especially when kids are involved!
They’re perfect for satisfying your dessert cravings without the fuss of making a whole pie, they’re just a simple, indulgent, apple dessert perfect for Fall!
All-Purpose Flour: Used for the crust and crumble topping to provide structure and texture. It also helps thicken the apple filling to prevent it from being too runny.
Substitution in the crust/crumble: Whole wheat flour or a gluten-free flour blend can be used.
Substitution in the filling: Cornstarch or arrowroot powder can be used as thickeners.
Old Fashioned Oats: Adds a delightful crunch and nutty flavor to the crumble topping.
Substitution: Rolled oats or quick oats can be used interchangeably.
Brown Sugar: Sweetens both the crust and the apple filling, enhancing their flavor.
Substitution: Coconut sugar, maple syrup, or date sugar can replace brown sugar.
Vanilla: Infuses a warm, aromatic flavor into the crust. Can be omitted if you do not have it.
Salt: Enhances the overall flavor by balancing the sweetness.
Substitution: Sea salt or kosher salt can be used interchangeably.
Plant-Based Butter: Provides a rich, buttery flavor and flaky texture in the crust and topping. Unfortunately, I have not found a healthier way to replace this ingredient yet.
Apples: The main ingredient, providing natural sweetness and a tender, fruity bite.
Substitution: Pears or peaches can be used as substitutes for a unique twist.
Lemon Juice: Balances the sweetness of the apples and adds a hint of citrusy brightness.
Substitution: Lime juice or apple cider vinegar can also provide acidity.
Cinnamon: Infuses warm, aromatic spice into the apple filling.
Substitution: Nutmeg, cloves, or apple pie spice can be used for flavor variations.
How to Make Apple Pie Bars with a Crumb Topping
*Note that these instructions can be printed below
Step one: Preheat your oven to 350℉ and line your baking dish with parchment paper
Step two: Make the fool-proof crust & crumble topping by stirring together the flour, oats, sugar, vanilla, and salt.
Step three: Cut in the butter 1 stick at a time until the mixture is crumbly.
Step four: Pour half of the mixture into the bottom of your parchment lined dish, press down, and bake for 15 minutes.
Step five: While the crust is baking, make the apple filling by stirring together all of the ingredients. The diced apples should be no bigger than ½ inch thick.
Step six: Once the crust is done baking, pour the apple filling on top and smooth out, then evenly crumble the rest of the crust & crumble topping mixture on top.
Step seven: Bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the crumble topping starts to golden.
Expert Tips for making Apple Bars
- Opt for sweet-tart apples like Granny Smith or Honeycrisp for the best flavor and texture in your apple filling.
- Make sure your plant-based butter is cold when incorporating it into the crust and crumble topping. This creates a flaky texture.
- When making the crust and crumble topping, mix until just combined. Overmixing can make the bars tough.
- Old-fashioned rolled oats add a wonderful texture to the crumble topping, and are also less processed than other oats. Avoid instant oats, if possible, which can potentially become mushy.
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on the sides. This makes it easier to lift out the bars for slicing.
- Make sure the diced apples are evenly distributed in the pan for consistent flavor in every bite.
- Have fun experimenting with spices like nutmeg, cloves, or ginger to enhance the flavor of the apple filling.
- Allow the bars to cool completely in the pan before slicing. This helps them set and hold their shape.
- For extra indulgence, top your bars with homemade vegan caramel sauce.
- A scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream pairs perfectly with warm apple pie bars.
- Feel free to customize your apple pie bars by adding chopped nuts, dried fruits, or a drizzle of vegan chocolate on top for a unique twist.
For the ultimate indulgence, serve your Vegan Apple Pie Bars warm with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream and drizzled caramel sauce.
The contrast of the warm, spiced apple filling, the cold, creamy ice cream, and the extra sweet caramel is a delightful combination that’s sure to please your taste buds. Enjoy every bite!
Serve for special occasions, such as Thanksgiving, or enjoy at home on a cozy night in!
How to Store Vegan Apple Crumble Bars
Fridge: Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Eat cold, or pop in the microwave in 10-30 second increments until it reaches your desired temperature.
Freezer: I haven’t been able to test freezing this recipe yet! If you have, be sure to let me know how it went in the comments.
FAQ’s for making the Best Apple Pie Bars
It’s best to dice the apples, just be sure all apples are diced around the same size so they bake evenly, and always peel and core the apples first.
Almost any apple can be used in this recipe, but the best to use are going to be honeycrisp, granny smith, golden delicious, or gala.
Yes! These bars need to be refrigerated and stay good in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container.
Yes! Lemon juice helps prevent the apple from browning too quickly and is needed in the cooking process for this recipe.
No, simply mix the apples with the flour and other filling ingredients and add it on top of the crust, then add the crumble topping and bake! No stovetop needed for this recipe (unless you want to heat up your caramel sauce that way).
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Vegan Caramel Sauce
- Apple Enchiladas
- Apple Crisp
- Apple Muffins
- Stovetop Cinnamon Apples
- Apple Fritters
- Apple French Toast Bake
Vegan Apple Pie BarsShawna Clapper
Crust & Crumble Topping
- 2 cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Old Fashioned Oats
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Plant-Based Butter cold (2 sticks of butter)
- 3 cups Apples diced (3-4 apples)
- 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- ⅓ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Vegan Caramel Sauce
- Preheat your oven to 350℉ and line your baking dish with parchment paper
- Make the crust & crumble topping by stirring together the flour, oats, sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Cut in the butter 1 stick at a time until the mixture is crumbly.
- Pour half of the mixture into the bottom of your parchment lined dish, press down, and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, make the apple filling by stirring together all of the ingredients. The diced apples should be no bigger than ½ inch thick.
- Once the crust is done baking, pour the apple filling on top and smooth out, then evenly crumble the rest of the crust & crumble topping mixture on top.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the crumble topping starts to golden.
- Allow to cool for at least an hour before removing the parchment paper and bars from the baking dish, cut into 9 bars, top with caramel sauce (and maybe even some vanilla ice cream) and enjoy!
Use your favorite baking apples for this recipe, such as granny smith or honeycrisp.