*Disclosure: some links may contain affiliate links. For more information on what this means, visit my disclosure page.
Mini pancakes are easier than you think to make, and even easier to make!
They’re also super toddler and picky eater friendly, and why wouldn’t they be, they’re cute and tiny, just like toddlers!
So, whether you need to make something for a brunch, or are simply meal prepping easy breakfasts for the week, I’m sure you (and your kids) will love these super easy mini pancakes (that you can make in more fun shapes than just circles)!
If you’ve ever fed a toddler, or a picky eater, then you know how difficult it can be. Luckily, pancakes seem to be a pretty ‘safe’ food for most of them, and add in the fact that it’s tiny or a ‘baby’ pancake, and you’ll think you’ve got a handle on this feeding picky eaters thing!
And if that doesn’t work, you can always make them into different fun shapes to eat.
Ingredients for Mini Pancakes & Ingredient Substitutions
Flour: I know this recipe works well with oat flour and all purpose flour. If you need to use a different type of flour, I can’t guarantee good results.
Sugar: White sugar, brown sugar, coconut sugar, cane sugar, pick your choice of sugar, as long as it’s a dry sugar with sugar crystals on the smaller side.
Baking Powder: Baking powder is needed to make these pancakes rise.
Almond Milk: You can choose any type of non-dairy milk you wish to for this recipe. I know for a fact that almond, soy, and oat milk all work wonderfully. Unfortunately, for this recipe, you can’t replace the milk with water because the milk mixes with the apple cider vinegar to create a ‘buttermilk’. This reaction won’t happen with water.
Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is needed to mix with the non-dairy milk to create an imitation ‘buttermilk’ for these pancakes.
Applesauce: Where most pancake recipes will include oil or butter, I like to use applesauce for a healthier option. With this being said, feel free to sub this out with the same amount of vegetable oil or melted plant-based butter.
Vanilla: Vanilla is a flavor enhancer, it’s not vital to this recipe and can be omitted if need be.
How to Make Mini Vegan Pancakes
*Note that these instructions can be printed below
Step one: Start by making the vegan ‘buttermilk’ by mixing together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and letting sit for about 5 minutes (or while you put the rest of the batter together).
Step two: Add all dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk together.
Step three: Stir in the applesauce, vanilla, and milk mixture until there are no lumps.
Step four: Heat your pan over medium or low-medium heat, add some plant-based butter or oil to the pan if you would like.
Step five: Drop about 1 tablespoon of the batter on the pan, then add more depending on the size of your pan, be sure to leave about 2 inches between each pancake.
Step six: Once the pancakes start to bubble, flip them and cook on the other side until golden.
Step seven: Keep the pancakes warm until all are made and then enjoy with your favorite pancake toppings!
Tips for Making Amazing Mini Pancakes
With the amount of times I have made pancakes, both for my own family and for my work as a food photographer, I have learned some pretty useful tips when it comes to making the best pancakes.
- First of all, know your stove and pan! I recently made pancakes for a client, and our stoves must heat differently or we were using different pans, because medium to medium high heat for her made golden pancakes, whereas I needed to use low-medium heat. So, know how your stove heats your pan and adjust your heat accordingly!
- Don’t over mix your batter. Over mixing the batter can result in tough pancakes, not soft and fluffy.
- Non-stick pan. You may have a preference for pans and what you use works, but if you don’t yet, then I’d recommend a non-stick pan as they are easiest to work with for making pancakes.
- Flip when they bubble. Pancakes, when cooked correctly, should produce bubbles and this is your sign to flip the pancakes to cook on the other side.
Alternative Ways to Make these Mini Pancakes
Use mini pancake molds! With mini pancake molds you can choose the shape, depending on the mold (such as a circle, stars, or hearts) and they will come out perfect every time!
If you do choose to use these molds, be sure to use plenty of cooking spray to prevent sticking.
Spray the inside of the mold and the pan, place the flat surface of the mold up, drop the pancake batter inside and spread underneath the mold to make sure the batter reaches the edges of the mold. Once the batter is bubbling in all sections, lift from the tabs, flip, and cook again til done.
Spraying between each batch is optional, but will help prevent sticking.
How to Serve Mini Pancakes
Serve warm and with your favorite toppings, just like regular pancakes!
- Maps Syrup
- Powdered sugar
- Plant-Based Butter
- Chocolate Syrup
Serve as a quick breakfast if you made them over the weekend, or make them for brunch. They save really well, but isn’t something you can whip up super quick during a busy weekday morning.
How to Store Mini Pancakes
Fridge: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Freezer: Flash freeze on a cookie sheet, then store in a freezer safe bag or container until needed.
FAQ’s for Mini Pancakes
- How long does it take to cook mini pancakes?
- It should take 1-3 minutes on each side to cook mini pancakes.
- How do I make perfectly round pancakes?
- Use a pancake mold.
- Do these pancakes freeze well?
- Absolutely! These pancakes freeze and reheat perfectly in the microwave for quick and easy breakfasts during the week!
- How many mini pancakes makes a full serving?
- This will depend on if you’re serving kids or adults. 1 serving for an adult should be around 7-10 mini pancakes, but again, this varies.
- Can mini pancakes be reheated in the toaster?
- No, reheating in the toaster is not recommended as you would have to turn the toaster upside down to remove the pancakes, don’t ask how I know.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Classic Oatmeal Pancakes
- Banana Pancakes
- Apple French Toast Casserole
- Pumpkin Waffles
- Vegan French Toast
Mini Pancakes (Vegan)Shawna Clapper
- Medium/Large Pan or Skillet
- Large Bowl & Spoon/Whisk
- (Optional) Plant-Based Butter, Cooking Spray, or Oil for cooking
- 2 cups Flour
- 3 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1 ½ cups Almond Milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ cup Applesauce
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Powdered sugar
- Plant-Based Butter
- Start by making the vegan ‘buttermilk’ by mixing together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and letting sit for about 5 minutes (or while you put the rest of the batter together).
- Add all dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk together.
- Stir in the applesauce, vanilla, and milk mixture until there are no lumps.
- Heat your pan over medium or low-medium heat, add some plant-based butter or oil to the pan if you would like.
- Drop about 1 tablespoon of the batter on the pan, then add more depending on the size of your pan, be sure to leave about 2 inches between each pancake.
- Once the pancakes start to bubble, flip them and cook on the other side until golden.
- Keep the pancakes warm until all are made and then enjoy with your favorite pancake toppings!
If you know it takes a long time for your pan to heat up on your stove, start heating it up while you make your batter.
If using mini pancake molds, please read the tips in the alternative methods to make this section.
Freeze these pancakes to enjoy for weeks, or store in the fridge for 3-4 days.