*Disclosure: some links may contain affiliate links (meaning if you end up purchasing something when you click on the link then I may get a commission on it, with no extra cost to you, of course). For more information on what this means, visit my disclosure page.
Vegan Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry
In this article you will find a savory Vegan Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry Recipe that is so satisfying and will keep you (and your kids) full for hours to come!
We like pairing this savory chickpea curry with white rice to help balance out the rich flavor of the curry, turmeric, and all of the other amazing spices sprinkled through out this yellow/orange colored dish.
Feel free to pair with another grain, such as brown or wild rice, quinoa, or couscous!
Want to Remember This? Pin This Vegan Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry to your favorite Pinterest Board!!
So, how do you make this Curry dish?
This dish is a little more complicated than the other ones you will find on this site; but the outcome is totally worth cooking a dinner that takes more than 15 minutes!
Just don’t plan to make this meal on a night you’re busy, consider your time and the amount that you’ll require to make this.
As a mom of kids who think the best time to talk to me is while I’m making dinner, and after making this recipe a dozen (or way more) times, it still takes about 45 minutes all the way through (note that not all of that time is ‘active’ time).
The basis of this recipe is…
- Sautéing the onion and garlic in the coconut oil til translucent
- Add spices
- Microwave (or boil) broccoli
- Add chopped sweet potato & carrots to other veggies sautéing
- Add sauce, coconut milk, stir and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes
- Add in chickpeas and broccoli, stir well and continue to cook til thickened
- and then make your grain (you may want to start the grain before the curry or during it, depending on how long it takes to make)
Sure, it’s a little more work than simply throwing a bunch of ingredients in a pot and stirring; you’re also chopping veggies, microwaving them, and then opening multiple cans of things to pour in…
So, it’s not really that difficult. But this isn’t a recipe I’ve taught my 9 year old yet (though she’s also my ‘picky eater’ and isn’t always a fan of this recipe, she enjoys baking more than cooking).
Why you’ll love this Sweet Potato Curry
Non-picky eaters enjoy it.
It’s not too spicy, my toddler started eating it when she was a little younger than a year old and has loved it ever since.
If you do baby led weaning, this is a great meal for them, just be sure to chop everything up quite small- chickpea at least in half, and be sure to cook everything til super soft.
It’s also a great way to get your kids eating more beans.
You can adjust the spices to your families preference, so spicy or not so spicy.
It’s also stuffed with so many nutrients, from vitamin A with the sweet potato and carrots, to tons of anti-oxidants with the spices and other ingredients, healthy fats from coconut milk, vitamin C with the tomato sauce, and so much more!
It’s a wonder house of vitamins and minerals that is super satisfying to eat!
Go ahead; make it and savor every last bite as you enjoy that fact that your body, right down to your cells, are being fully nourished!
Vegan Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry
- Medium & large pots with lids
- microwave (optional- but convenient)
- Measuring cups, spoons, stirring utensils
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 white onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1-2 tsp curry powder
- 1 large sweet potato diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can (15oz) coconut milk
- 1 bag (12oz) broccoli frozen
- 1 can (15oz) chickpeas
- to taste salt
- 2 cups white rice
- 4 cups water
- Cook the rice in the water- boil then cover and simmer until all the water is absorbed.
- Saute the onion and garlic in the coconut oil til translucent.
- Add spices.
- Put bag of broccoli in microwave and cook according to directions, or boil on stove.
- Cut up sweet potato and carrots, add to pot with sauteed veggies.Stir for a few minutes, til well combined.
- Add sauce, coconut milk, stir and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add in chickpeas and broccoli, stir well and continue to cook til thickened.
- Dish out food and enjoy!
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy: