*Disclosure: some links may contain affiliate links (meaning if you end up purchasing something when you click on the link then I may get a commission on it, with no extra cost to you, of course). For more information on what this means, visit my disclosure page.
Muddy Buddies Recipe
If you LOVE muddy buddies, but weren’t sure there was a way to easily make them vegan; look no further, the vegan version of the beloved ‘puppy chow’ is right below!
The only choice you have now is whether you want to jump straight to the recipe or read the tips I have below for you before hand.
If you’ve made muddy buddies before then you probably already know that there’s different methods to making this delicious muddy buddies recipe.
You have options, such as:
- Melting the peanut butter and chocolate on the stove or in the microwave
- Shaking the mixture in a bag or stirring in a bowl
You even have the option of choosing a different type of nut butter in place of the peanut butter, which is great if you or someone you make food for (like a child) is allergic to peanuts.
Myself and 3 kids can attest to cashew butter being an amazing replacement!
Want to Remember This? Pin This Muddy Buddies Recipe to your favorite Pinterest Board!!
So, how do you make this classic recipe from your childhood VEGAN?
The only real changes you’ll need to make are to make sure you use vegan/plant-based butter and non-dairy/vegan chocolate chips.
Luckily, it is getting easier and easier to find vegan butter at the store. Two brands right off the top of my head that are vegan are Earth Balance & Country Crock now has plant-based butters (using either avocado oil or olive oil- my preference for this recipe would be the avocado based one).
Seriously, that is it!
It’s really that simple!
Why you’ll love this vegan version…
It’s just as easy to make as the ‘original’.
It’s guilt free, at least as far as knowing no animals were harmed in the processing of ingredients.
It tastes the exact same as the kind you used to eat as a kid.
It’s great to munch on while watching a family movie with the kids! (Or maybe only I do that with my kids? Either way, it’s a great food to bond over!)
Muddy Buddies Recipe
- 9 cups Chex cereal
- 1 cup non-dairy chocolate chips (like enjoy life)
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup vegan butter (like Earth Balance)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- Melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter on the stove (or in the microwave)
- Mix the vanilla into the chocolate/peanut butter mixture
- Pour cereal into a large bowl, pour chocolate mixture over top and stir to coat all the cereal- be gentle and try not to break the cereal
- Pour the coated cereal in a gallon sized bag with the powdered sugar and shake it til the cereal is covered in the sugar
- Let cool and enjoy!
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy: